EDITOR’S WARNING: What you are about to read is true and highly abnormal …
On the day he was inaugurated in 2017, the new President of the United States gave one of the darkest speeches to ever roll over the fruited plain. Really, it wasn’t so much a speech he lifelessly delivered but a droll scolding. It was ankle-deep in depth and jaw-dropping in dread. It of course was meant to drag all of us down to his level with as much expediency as possible. The implied connotation? That only he, and he alone, could lift us up from the dark recesses of his mind.
This angry man had won his support and ultimately the presidency in large part by painting our imperfect nation with dark, foreboding colors. He promised his supporters he was eager to go back to the days when real Americans framed things in good ol’ black-and-white terms.
Hours after his Inaugural assault, the real hysteria started and the first big lie of his presidency was put on the record: The angry man was disputing the size of the crowds who had come out to witness his anti-America screed on the Washington Mall.
It had taken only hours for the angry man to confirm what the majority of this country already knew: He was completely unfit to be president.
His lie about crowd size of all things was the first of many thousands of lies that were to come, but perhaps the most illuminating — because if somebody is going to lie to you about what is right in front of your eyes, what else will he lie to you about?
From there things slid rapidly from bad to worse dragging with them outrage and the stark realization that what was happening before us was terrifying and not at all normal.
In the days and months that followed the angry man went on to …
- … allege massive voter fraud in an election he lost by nearly 3 million votes
- … continue to call for Hillary Clinton to be locked up
- … coddle and excuse Nazis
- … rip children from their parents and sequester them in unknown places
- … hire subservient corporate raiders to fill out his cabinet
- … threaten NATO and Far East Alliances
- … put a son-in-law who repeatedly lied on his security clearance in charge of everything
- … genuflect repeatedly in public and private to Putin
- … destabilize the Koreas and the Middle East
- … excuse the dismemberment of a journalist
- … pull out of climate accords
- … allow the rape and pillage of our public lands and animals
- … attack our FBI and law enforcement
- … call our media the enemy of the people
- … attempt to rip healthcare away from the very people who need it most
- … lie about an imminent threat to our national security on the southern border
- … posture and then brush aside school shootings
- … offer us all a lesson in the Emoluments Clause
- … admit to paying off porn stars he screwed so as to be elected despite repeatedly lying about it
- … worked with and had contact with Russia throughout the campaign despite repeatedly lying about it
… and all that is off the top of my head. Apologies for any omissions.
Today the United States Government as been closed for over a month. He told us he was proud to do this. It might be the first and only time in his presidency he has been honest about anything. As a high-performing narcissist, he is delighting in all this misery and mayhem that has come with his shutdown. It allows him to get back to painting in those stark, black-and-white colors again. He is simple this way and knows his shrinking base love him for it. As long as they serve him, he will be content to wreck this country.
After all, lying, wrecking things and destroying people’s lives is the only thing the angry man has ever been good at. He has a long resume to prove it. He has never served the public in any meaningful way, opting instead to swindle it.
Tragic to say that we are meeting in places like this because of this unfolding tragedy.
That we call it a tragedy … That we stay outraged … THAT WE NEVER NORMALIZE THIS … is the one thing we absolutely have to do every single day if we are to come through this assault on our senses and our values.
Our survival depends on it.